Monday, August 10, 2009

Movie Mondays - Ferris Bueller's Day Off


"Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?"

In honor of John Hughes' untimely passing last week, I wanted to spotlight my favorite movie he had a hand in creating. Hughes was a great director, writer and producer. He directed many great 80's movies including: "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club," "Uncle Buck," "Weird Science" and this week's Movie Monday entry, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

I remember watching "Day Off" during an "off" day of school. I'm sure everyone that has watched the movie has a story like that.

"Day Off" is a great movie. From the beginning to the end, greatness oozes from every scene. And that greatness began in the planning stages. The script is airtight. The locations are awesome. The casting is spot on. I don't think I could ever imagine Ferris as any one other than Matthew Broderick. I don't think I'd want to.

To this day, I still have almost the whole movie memorized. I have to watch it at least a few times a year. If I catch just a brief glimpse of it on TV, my mood instantly improves.

I try to live my life according to Ferris. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

My hat goes off to John Hughes for creating a brilliant masterpiece. My heart goes out to his family and to the world. A great movie maker was lost. And a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment