Friday, April 24, 2009

2009 NFL Draft

With the ninth pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select...who knows. With Ted Thompson running the draft, I have no idea. I still have 100% faith in him. However, another .500 or worse season and I will officially put him on the hot seat. I do not think he will get fired until after the 2010 season at the earliest. That of course is barring a disastrous 4-12 season. (Which will not happen with the talent on the team. And oh yeah, we still play the Lions twice a year. I want to see how good of an arm Matthew Stafford actually has when he is running for his life behind that high school offensive line. In a small way, I feel bad for him. Congratulations, you are the number 1 pick in the draft - here's a Lions jersey. That's got to be depressing. Then again, after an 0-16 season, can the team get any worse?)

Since the NFL draft starts tomorrow, I'm like a kid on Christmas. Who will the Packers draft? Will they trade down? Or up? Will McCarthy ever smile? How many times will they bring up Tony Fucking Mandarich?

Although the pundits say this is a talent-thin draft, there are a few players I would love to have on the team. I would be happy with Malcolm Jenkins, Brian Orakpo, B.J. Raji, or Tyson Jackson. I would be ecstatic with Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Jason Smith - none of whom would be available at 9. My ideal 2009 Packers draft would go something like this...

1st Round - Malcolm Jenkins - CB, Ohio State (After TT trades back a few slots and picks up an extra 2nd round pick.)
2nd Round - Larry English - DE/OLB, Northern Illinois
2nd Round - Phil Loadholt - OT, Oklahoma
3rd Round - Travis Beckham - TE, Wisconsin
3rd Round - Jason Watkins - OT, Florida
4th Round - Roy Miller - DT, Texas
5th Round - Zach Potter - DE, Nebraska
6th Round - Kevin Huber - P, Cincinnati
6th Round - Greg Carr - WR, Florida State
7th Round - P.J. Hill - RB, Wisconsin (Do you think this guy is pissed he did not stay in school? If he had a great senior season, P.J. could have been in the 3rd or 4th round next year. This year he might not even be drafted.)

Of course, it's not going to go down that way. TT will probably execute a few later round trades. Plus, he's bound to draft someone that nobody is talking about.

After each round is complete, I will have my favorite pick of the round, the most surprising pick, and my thoughts about who the Packers drafted from a fan's perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment