Saturday, April 25, 2009

Why All The Ted Thompson Hate?

Ted Thompson haters piss me the fuck off! I do not get it. I absolutely do not get the Ted Thompson hate.

I realize most of the hate comes from one, and only one, decision TT has ever made...to trade Brett Favre. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Favre fan and always will be. And I wish his tenure would not have ended the way it did. But haters should remember that Brett retired. The Packers had to move on. Once Brett decided to come back, that's when TT screwed up. He should have either let Brett come back right away or traded him right away. The drama ruined training camp and forever put a little ding in Brett's armor. But this must be said, I am a Packer fan FIRST. If someone does not want to wear the green and gold, even someone as great as Favre, then I can't support him. Normally, I'd tell that player (I'm looking at you, Javon.) to fuck off and get the hell out of Green Bay, but I can't do that to Brett. He gave me too many great memories.

After the Raji pick, one of my Facebook friends posted this as his status, "TT YOU ARE THE MOST FUCKED UP PERSON IN THE WORLD." I felt the need to respond. I had to. I could not let that go without a response. Not just because of the TT hate, but also because Raji was a solid pick. I replied with "TT is a good general manager. He was able to remake a roster that Sherman left in shambles." That is a true statement. It cannot be disputed. Sherman ran the depth of the Packers into the ground. Sure, there were talented starters, but the vast majority of those were left from the Ron Wolf era.

After I made that comment, I figured I'd get some responses, but nothing as eye-opening as a comment made by a female friend of his. She said and I quote, "OH WOW! I'm not a packer fan, or even a football fan for that matter, but I can not understand how ANYONE would think he was a good gm." Are you fucking kidding me? How can you judge football decisions without being a fan? Please take your Brett Favre idolotry and get the fuck out.

Unfortunately, I made a rash decision to respond to her, but I quickly deleted my post. It went something like "I don't know cooking so I don't make comments regarding the skills of Bobby Flay or Rachel Ray." I don't know the girl that made the comment so I felt bad. That's why I deleted it. However, Facebook emails posts to everyone that commented on the status. So she responded with this gem. "Well I'm sorry u feel i am uninformed. Just because I am not a football fan does not mean I do not know anything about football. I live with someone who LIVES football. I watch sportscenter probably close to 5 hours a day or more. I do not proclaim to be a genius but I'm not an idiot either." Obviously, you are. I'm sorry, I don't even know you, but you are A FUCKING moron! I live with my father, a mechanic by trade. He reads magazines and watches television about fixing things. Does this mean I am a mechanic? Fuck no. So just because you watch Sportscenter and live with someone who is a football fanatic, that does not qualify you to have an informed opinion on TT's job performance. I guess the old saying is true. "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and most of them stink." (P.S. In this metaphor, you're opinion stinks like an asshole. I figured I had to explain that since you do not seem that bright.)

You don't agree with me? Take a look at what the experts say about TT's 2009 draft.

Todd McShay:
Philly, Green Bay make the best impression when reviewing NFC draft classes.
Best pick: DT B.J. Raji, Boston College (First round, No. 9 overall)
Worst pick: FB Quinn Johnson, LSU (Fifth round, No. 145 overall)
Bottom line: It's hard to pinpoint a weakness in this draft. Raji is a perfect fit at NT as the Packers transition to a 3-4 defense, and OLB Clay Matthews gives them a player with experience in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme. OT T.J. Lang is one of the most underrated offensive linemen in this year's class and could emerge as yet another midround O-line starter for Green Bay. The Packers also took some chances in the later rounds on risk/reward players like G Jamon Meredith and CB Brandon Underwood.

Mel Kiper Jr:
GRADE: A (Highest Rated Draft)
I love what this team did to solidify its shaky defense in the first two picks alone, with the selection of two excellent players in defensive tackle B.J. Raji and outside linebacker Clay Matthews. Tackle T.J. Lang was a good pickup for the offensive line, while Quinn Johnson could be a bruising lead fullback in the league. Sixth-round pick Brandon Underwood could make this team and give the Packers depth as a backup.

Do you still hate TT? Then go fuck yourself.

I will give the haters this though...another .500 or worse season and I will relent and put TT on the hot seat. He will last through at least 2010 though. Of course, if 2009 is a disastrous 4-12 season, then all bets are off. However, that will not happen with the talent on the team. And oh yeah, we still play the Lions twice a year.

If the Packers win the Super Bowl under TT's watch, then he deserves to be talked about in the same breath as Ron Wolf. If the Packers fail to make the play-offs the next two years, I will understand when TT gets fired. I will not, however, hate.

I will never hate on TT. And you should not either.

1 comment:

  1. I doubt this is all that relevant, but as far as trading Favre "right away" Favre had approval over any trade by simply not showing up and voiding it. Favre wanted a trade to the Vikings, and so had to bring the "disagreement" to a showdown. He finally relented and accepted a trade to the Jets. It wasn't the Packers that held up resolving things sooner.

    ReplyDelete